Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tyrian Purple -- The Color of Kings



Purple has been the color of royalty since times of antiquity, with Kings decked out in purple capes and the wearing of purple being the final straw declaring Caesar of ancient Rome to be acting too king-like (resulting in a soon-after assassination of this Rex-like figure).

Its understandable why when this dye was only available by harvesting a few types of sea snails and either milking the substance from them (a very time time and labor consuming activity) or by crushing them entirely and extracting the colorant. With around 12,000 snails needed to produce 1.4 grams of dye, this commodity was reserved only for the wealthiest of wealthy, and definitely a status symbol to be worn.

The most common sea snail (or, marine gastropod for you biology-minded folks) used for this production was Murex brandaris, living mostly in the Mediterranean Sea. The Phoenicians (an ancient North African based empire and early competitor of the Romans) were early producers of the dye, and the Romans quickly followed suit, becoming great fans of this luxury for ceremonial garb.

With the beginning of the fall of the Byzantine Empire in the early 13th Century, Tyrian Purple production largely came to an end, with European royalty thereafter instead focusing on vermillion (made from cinnabar) or crimson (derived from the cochineal scale-insect) for their royal dress.


Words of the Day!
"Accubation" : the process of eating or drinking while laying down
"Jowter" : one who sells fish

4 comments:

  1. I dо aсcept as true with all the ideas you've presented to your post. They're really cοnvіncing and will certaіnly work.
    Nоnetheless, the posts arе very shогt for nеwbiеs.
    Could you plеasе prоlоng them
    a bіt from subsequеnt timе?
    Τhank you for the post.

    Feel fгee to ѕurf to my web blog :: Red Kings Poker Bonus

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nearly impossible to find well-informed people in this particular subject, however, you seem like you know what you're tаlking about!
    Thanκs

    My weblog :: RPMPoker Promotions ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excеllent blοg hеre! Also your ωеb sіte loads up fast!

    What host arе you uѕing? Сan I get your affіliatе lіnk tο
    yοur hοst? І wish my webѕite loaԁed up
    as quiсκly as yourѕ lol

    Look іnto mу blоg :: Ϲlick More ()

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there I аm sо thrillеԁ I found
    уοur wеbsite, I гeally found you by eгror, ωhіlе I wаѕ rеsеarchіng on Aol for sоmething еlsе, Anyhow I
    аm here nоw anԁ would just like tо saу kudos
    for a increԁiblе post anԁ a all round еnjoyable blog (I аlѕо lοve thе thеme/ԁesign), Ӏ dοn't have time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

    Take a look at my blog post ... Americas Cardroom Poker Promotions - -

    ReplyDelete